In the secular Northwest, a non-partisan citizens’ group outs NPR affliliate’s pro-abortion bias
This story has a bunch of players, so let me introduce them in order of appearance:
National Public Radio (npr) affiliate KUOW covered the campaign, but failed to talk to the Vitae Foundation while giving air time to Planned Parenthood and pro-abortion talking points against YourOptions.
Vitae complained to a public interest group, The Washington News Council, which held a three hour hearing on the University of Washington campus on March 31st. Both sides were represented at this public event.
The result was that the non-partisan, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation supported Washington News Council upheld the Vitae Foundation complaint on 5 of 6 questions. The only point in which the npr affiliate was affirmed was, “Did KUOW have any responsibility to provide Vitae Foundation additional on-air coverage after the original news story aired?” The panel did not find that KUOW had an obligation to do follow-up pieces with Vitae, but,
- found that KUOW did not meet a “journalistic responsibility” to contact the pro-life groups for their side of the dispute;
- affirmed that the npr affiliate had a responsibility to contact both sides in a story about a dispute;
- judged KUOW’s coverage of the pro-life position to be inaccurate;
- criticized the npr coverage for “substantive errors” in need of correction;
- faulted a follow up piece by KUOW for failing to correct the bias and misrepresentations in the original story.
It is frustrating to fight the in-groups and their mutual admiration and protection rackets, but such work is right and it can benefit our neighbors beyond the church. Kudos to the Washington News Council for seeking objectivity and most of all to the pro-life witnesses for their dedication to God’s work.
Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. (Ephesians 5:11)
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- The Supplication
- Abandoning the Search for the Gay Gene and Embracing Choice
- UK “journalists” distort study to advocate for LGBT church
- One Black Episcopalian on Ferguson
- The Marriage Pledge and the Libertarian Solution to the Marriage Debate
- Liberal Activists & Social Media “Firestorms”
- What Values Will Our Children Vote?
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.