Fear Increases New Law in UK Would Compel Churches to Allow SSM
It means that if the Coalition Government presses ahead with its plans to redefine marriage to include gay couples the Catholic Church could face prosecution under equality legislation for acting according with its teachings.
“The Government will be obliged to permit same-sex marriage on religious premises on exactly the same basis as it permits heterosexual marriage,” said Mr Addison, a specialist in religious discrimination law.
“How this will affect the rights of Churches who are registered for marriage and in particular how it will affect the Church of England and its clergy who are registrars of marriage by virtue of their status as priests of the established Church is legally very arguable,” he said.
“Certainly a good legal case can be made that any place or person who is registered to perform marriage must be willing to perform same-sex marriage on the same basis as they conduct heterosexual marriage since, in law, there will be no difference between the two.”
Hat tip: Anglican Mainstream
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Did Jesus mean baptism when he said “born by water and the Spirit?”
- (updated) [Oz] Bishop Sarah Macneil Conducted Same-Sex “Blessing” While Diocesan Archdeacon
- Pray for the Ugley Vicar
- Rev. Rod Bower of Gosford: Jesus Didn’t Die for Our Sins and Atheists can be “Kingdom People”
- [Oz] Rev. Rod Bower: “I don’t believe in heaven or hell…”
- A Statement Concerning the Consecration of Rev Dr Sarah Macneil in the Anglican Diocese of Grafton
- 60 Theses on Real Integrity in the Anglican Church
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.