Fear Increases New Law in UK Would Compel Churches to Allow SSM
It means that if the Coalition Government presses ahead with its plans to redefine marriage to include gay couples the Catholic Church could face prosecution under equality legislation for acting according with its teachings.
“The Government will be obliged to permit same-sex marriage on religious premises on exactly the same basis as it permits heterosexual marriage,” said Mr Addison, a specialist in religious discrimination law.
“How this will affect the rights of Churches who are registered for marriage and in particular how it will affect the Church of England and its clergy who are registrars of marriage by virtue of their status as priests of the established Church is legally very arguable,” he said.
“Certainly a good legal case can be made that any place or person who is registered to perform marriage must be willing to perform same-sex marriage on the same basis as they conduct heterosexual marriage since, in law, there will be no difference between the two.”
Hat tip: Anglican Mainstream
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Armenian Genocide Scoreboard
- ANZAC Day - Learning from a Futile Battle
- GAFCON Primates’ Communiqué April 2015
- Turkey’s Foreign Minister Coming Out of the Closet?
- Reconciling John’s Account of Good Friday
- BREAKING: Good Friday Statement from Archbishop Eliud of Kenya
- Nigerian bishop to be the Anglican Communion’s next Secretary General
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.