Catholic Bishops Take on Obama
The HHS mandate requires employers to provide insurance coverage for contraception and sterilization services. It is, according to the bishops, an “unjust law.” They write: “It cannot be obeyed and therefore one does not seek relief from it, but rather its repeal.”
The statement is a rebuke of President Obama and the so-called accommodation his administration proposed in February. It also raises the stakes between the president and the leaders of America’s Catholic Church.
The bishops call on Catholics in America, “in solidarity with our fellow citizens,” not to obey the law. They implicitly compare the HHS regulation to a segregation-era statute, and even cite Martin Luther King Jr.’s “Letter from a Birmingham Jail.” In a not-so-subtle manner, the bishops tell the Obama administration that they are willing to go to prison rather than comply with the mandate’s provisions.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Commercial Dares to Portray Unborn as Human
- Purveyors of Death Seek to Up the Ante
- Planned Parenthood Sues for Right to Dispose of Babies as Landfill Medical Waste
- Is Abortion Murder?
- Hollywood Cheers for Culture of Death
- Tolerance. A Thing of the Past?
- California Requires Pregnancy Centers to Notify Mothers of Abortion Options
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.