UK: Anglican Preacher Pulled from Pulpit after Advocating Traditional Marriage
Seems there is a bit of a dust up over in the UK:
An Anglican lay minister has been temporarily banned from preaching at a church in the U.K. after a service in which he advocated for the traditional definition of marriage upset some of those in attendance.
Peter Gowlland, a retired science teacher, apparently encouraged worshippers to sign a petition against the government’s plan to introduce same-sex weddings. The preacher asked of church-goers to be “bold like the apostles” in their vote in support of the traditional definition of marriage. The Telegraph reported that what followed was a “brief and polite” disagreement with two other lay readers in front of the congregation and a retired bishop.
It appears they took offense to His Grace claiming the lay reader of 50 YEARS had been suspended.
The Archdeacon asked the Reader to refrain from ministry in the particular parish for two months in order for there to be time for these pastoral matters to be resolved.
They also refused to renew his license. Sure sounds like a suspension to me.
I guess the diocese didn’t think the comments of Ms. Duncan and Ms. Bird contradicting Mr. Gowlland’s statements merited the same treatment.
And together, without warning or discussion, they came to the lectern and exhorted the congregation not to sign the petition. “There are other views,” they said. “Do not sign it without giving it very careful thought.” Ms Duncan turned to Mr Gowlland and said, “Just in the interests of balance, Peter.”
Tomato, tomatoe, indeed.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- (updated) [Oz] Bishop Sarah Macneil Conducted Same-Sex “Blessing” While Diocesan Archdeacon
- Pray for the Ugley Vicar
- Rev. Rod Bower of Gosford: Jesus Didn’t Die for Our Sins and Atheists can be “Kingdom People”
- [Oz] Rev. Rod Bower: “I don’t believe in heaven or hell…”
- A Statement Concerning the Consecration of Rev Dr Sarah Macneil in the Anglican Diocese of Grafton
- Coming Soon to a Country Near You (UPDATED)
- 60 Theses on Real Integrity in the Anglican Church
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.