Pentagon announces Gay Pride Month
I’ve sometimes said, “It’s the U.S. Army, not the Salvation Army.” Right now, a gay or lesbian service member is at acute risk of being in harm’s way for my freedom.
Gays and lesbians in public service are not the same as corrupting a church with anti-Biblical teaching and practices.
Here’s what I would ask, though: Is there a “Father’s Month” observed by the military? Or a “Mother’s Month”? Or a “Military Families Month”? This line from the article seems strange:
This month’s event will follow a long tradition in the Pentagon of recognizing diversity in America’s armed forces. Hallway displays and activities, for example, have marked Black History Month and Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month.
Just having sexual desire and orientation gets you a month of recognition? It’s the same as an ethnic identity? And an orientation deserves honor without regard to how one lives it out?
Again, I want to stay off a high horse here. There’s a not-so-pretty history of straight sex in places where troops are deployed. Women “enjoyed” and abandoned; children sired and never fathered. But then why shouldn’t serial impregnators get a month, if that’s their thing and they are otherwise satisfactory troops? And why aren’t service people who are committed dads, moms and spouses honored as much as someone who happens to have a same sex attraction?
An election year is at hand. Sloppy symbolism is in season.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Would You Baptize the Adopted Child of a Same Sex Couple?
- Athanasius and Goebbels - random thoughts on “narratives”
- Your tax dollars at work in Baltamerica
- [Bumped] Promises, Promises: What Now for the Loyal Opposition in Mississippi?
- [Bumped] Breaking: Bishop of Mississippi Breaks Long-Time Promise, Allows Same-Sex Blessings
- Waldo To Approve Same Sex Blessings: Truth & Consequences in the Diocese of Upper South Carolina
- History of Baltimore “Rough Rides” vs. Narrative Reporting
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.