Are You Watching the Communion Without Baptism Resolution?
If you aren’t, you should. The House of Deputies rejected an amendment and passed the following today:
Resolved, the House of Bishops concurring, that The Episcopal Church reaffirms that baptism is the ancient and normative entry point to receiving Holy Communion and that our Lord Jesus Christ calls us to go into the world and baptize all peoples. We also acknowledge that in various local contexts there is the exercise of pastoral sensitivity with those who are not yet baptized.
Since the majority of our readers actually KNEW what was in the ESV, you probably understood the meaning of the last sentence. Another pretense resolution. “Pastoral Sensitivity” sounds a whole lot like “Generous Pastoral Response.” I do not have confirmation but was told the amendment that failed was to remove the last sentence. The vote was by orders. The final tally as reported at T-19 was
Lay 85 Yes, No 16, Divided 9
Clergy 70 Yes, No 24, Divided 16
Words matter. You might want to take this opportunity to send your bishop an email. Make sure you mark it as Urgent. High Priority.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Trouble Ahead for US Churches?
- Bristol Palin pregnant out of wedlock again
- [CofE] Buckinghamshire Anglo-Catholic Clergy join Evangelicals in Protesting against Bp Alan Wilson
- What Is the Antonym for “Humility”?
- [CofE] Prominent Oxford Diocese Evangelicals call for the resignation of Bishop Alan Wilson
- I Don’t Judge People
- Bishop Alan Wilson (Buckingham) no longer has confidence of his own clergy
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.