Reformation Day - 2 Gems from Luther
Yes, it’s Reformation Day and so here’s some Luther.
Next, my favourite Luther quote ever - for what I hope are obvious reasons!
We should preach the Word, but the results must be left solely to God’s good pleasure . . . I opposed indulgences and all the papists, but never with force. I simply taught, preached, and wrote God’s Word; otherwise I did nothing. And while I slept, or drank Wittenberg beer with my friends Philip and Amsdorf, the Word so greatly weakened the papacy that no prince or emperor ever inflicted such losses upon it. I did nothing; the Word did everything (LW 51:77).
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Awesome and Shibboleths of Community
- Jurgen Liias’s Move to Rome: A Spiritual Autobiography
- Autopsy of a Deceased Church: 11 Things I Learned
- Sermon: James 2:14-26 - Faith Without Works is Dead
- Sam Allberry - Is God Anti-Gay? [video]
- The Four Courtrooms of James 2:1-13
- Pope Canonizes Saints, Reporter Gets the Vapors (UPDATED)
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.