Steyn on the Muslim Brotherhood: “The name’s just for show, same as the Episcopal Church.”
From the Orange County Register, where there is much more—but I excerpted the juiciest [and most apt] line:
Let us turn from the post-Thanksgiving scenes of inflamed mobs clubbing each other to the ground for a discounted television set to the comparatively placid boulevards of the Middle East. In Cairo, no sooner had Hillary Clinton’s plane cleared Egyptian air space then Mohammed Morsi issued one-man constitutional amendments declaring himself and his Muslim Brotherhood buddies free from judicial oversight and announced that his predecessor, Hosni Mubarak, would be retried for all the stuff he was acquitted of in the previous trial. Morsi now wields total control over Parliament, the Judiciary, and the military to a degree Mubarak in his jail cell can only marvel at. Old CIA wisdom: He may be an SOB but he’s our SOB. New post-Arab Spring CIA wisdom: He may be an SOB but at least he’s not our SOB.
But don’t worry. As America’s Director of National Intelligence, James Clapper, assured the House Intelligence Committee at the time of Mubarak’s fall, the Muslim Brotherhood is a “largely secular” organization. The name’s just for show, same as the Episcopal Church.
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- Decision Expected Soon in South Carolina Case
- Is a Church that Sues Itself a Church?
- ECUSA Denied Leave to Appeal in Quincy Case
- Ephraim Radner on Why I Changed My Mind on Civil Marriage
- More than 150 Clergy Sign The Marriage Pledge in 48 Hours
- Oh Dear—Jim Naughton is peevish again—so give generously to the IRD
- One Black Episcopalian on Ferguson
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.