New Dean of St Paul’s London is, Surprise Surprise, Pro Gay Marriage
Somebody in the Crown Nominations Committee is having a serious laugh. Just about the most important non-episcopal clergy appointment in the Church of England has gone yet another liberal. And at his introductory press conference just guess what button he simply had to press…
The Very Rev Dr David Ison, who was appointed by the Queen this week, said the church should welcome gay people wanting to take on the virtues of marriage, such as faithfulness.
“We need to take seriously people’s desire for partnership and make sure that the virtues that you see in married relationships are available to people who are gay,” he said.
In his previous position as dean of Bradford Cathedral, Ison conducted ceremonies to affirm and pray for gay couples civil partnerships. He said he would be happy to do the same at St Paul’s.
Is it me, or is there not even any subtlety to this anymore? It used to be that a prominent clergyman would cage his left-field comments in nuanced language. Now they just blurt them out, happy to even openly admit that they have no regard for received doctrine and practice and, indeed, simply contradict them.
Having said that, this is quite funny. The Guardian have the following picture of Ison and the Bishop of London, Richard Chartres. (Luther Pendragon/PA):
For some reason, his grace does not look very cheery about the whole thing. I imagine Ison’s press conference has only further increased his good humour. Can’t see this one going away in a hurry…
Share this story:
Recent Related Posts
- The Sin of Reconciliation
- (updated) [Oz] Bishop Sarah Macneil Conducted Same-Sex “Blessing” While Diocesan Archdeacon
- Pray for the Ugley Vicar
- Rev. Rod Bower of Gosford: Jesus Didn’t Die for Our Sins and Atheists can be “Kingdom People”
- [Oz] Rev. Rod Bower: “I don’t believe in heaven or hell…”
- How to Speak Postmodernism - A Guide for all Theological Liberals
- A Statement Concerning the Consecration of Rev Dr Sarah Macneil in the Anglican Diocese of Grafton
Are you reading this?
Advertising on Stand Firm works!
Click here for details.